Neti pots have been used for centuries in India, as part of Ayurveda (India's traditional medicine). It is a container designed to rinse off nasal congestion. It is the perfect device to alleviate nasal allergies (by removing allergens from nasal passages), sinus problems or colds.
You can make your own neti pot saline solution using:
- 1 pint of bottled water or filtered boiled tap water (to prevent infections). If boiled, let water cool down to lukewarm before using it.
- 1 teaspoon of pure granulated salt (sodium chloride) also known as canning, pickling or preserving salt.
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
Directions of Use:
- Tilt your head to one side at a 45 degrees angle over the sink and place the spout of the neti pot in the upper nostril.
- Breath through your mouth and let the solution drain through the lower nostril.
- Repeat on the other side.
- After use, rinse the neti pot with sterilised water and leave to dry completely.