Homemade Yoga Bolster with Blankets
Did you know you could make a yoga bolster using blankets? It is quick, easy and free if your already have blankets (or at least cheaper than buying a bolster). It also reduces the amount of yoga accessories and storage needed.
Here is how to proceed:
- Fold 2 yoga blankets into a rectangular shape (the smaller side should be about 60/65cm long). To create this homemade yoga bolster, I used 2 Ananda Hum yoga blankets which are quite thick. You might need an extra one if the blankets you are using are not as thinner. The diameter should measure about 20/25cm.
- Then roll the first blanket tightly into a cylinder shape.
- Now roll the second yoga blanket around the cylinder you created (tightly). Repeat with another blanket if needed.
- Your homemade yoga bolster is ready!
Read more on how to use yoga blankets to transform your yoga pactice.
Making a Yoga Bolster from Scratch:
- A sturdy fabric, such as canvas or upholstery fabric, in a color or pattern of your choice
- Stuffing material, such as foam or recycled polyester fiberfill
- Sewing machine and thread
- Measuring tape
Step 1: Measure and cut your fabric Measure and cut two pieces of fabric, each measuring 28 inches by 14 inches. You can adjust the size of your bolster if desired, but this size works well for most people.
Step 2: Sew the fabric pieces together Place the two pieces of fabric together, with the right sides facing each other. Pin the two pieces of fabric together along one of the shorter sides, leaving a 1/2-inch seam allowance. Sew along this edge using a straight stitch.
Step 3: Sew the other edge Turn the fabric right-side out, and then fold it in half so that the two short edges are lined up. Pin the two short edges together, again leaving a 1/2-inch seam allowance. Sew along this edge using a straight stitch.
Step 4: Stuff the bolster Turn the bolster cover right-side out again. Stuff the bolster with your chosen filling material, using a combination of foam and polyester fiberfill for a firmer bolster or just fiberfill for a softer one. Make sure to fill the bolster evenly, packing the stuffing material tightly to ensure that the bolster keeps its shape.
Step 5: Sew the final edge Pin the remaining edge of the bolster cover together, again leaving a 1/2-inch seam allowance. Sew along this edge using a straight stitch. Once you have finished sewing, turn the bolster right-side out.
Step 6: Enjoy your new bolster! Your homemade bolster is now complete and ready for use! You can use it to support your back, hips, or legs during yoga poses, or simply to provide comfortable support for relaxation or meditation.
Final thoughts: Making a homemade bolster is a fun and easy DIY project that can save you money and provide you with a customized prop that meets your specific needs. By following these simple steps, you can create a sturdy, comfortable bolster that will enhance your yoga practice and support your overall well-being.
Not enough time or not in the mood to create it yourself?
Check out our yoga bolsters here.
We also sell bare bolsters if you wish to only create its cover...